Alternative Treatment Tampa FL (813)-262-0168
For some patients, the typical regimen of counseling and education may not be enough to stem their addiction. Alternative treatments such as yoga, meditation, and art therapy can help some people focus their minds and learn to control their thoughts and feelings—a skill that will be very beneficial when it comes to sustaining long-term sobriety. Many drug rehabilitation facilities have been using these and other alternative treatments to supplement the traditional treatment modalities like group therapy and relapse prevention training. Using alternative treatments like exercise, equine therapy and acupuncture in combination with traditional methods provides patients several outlets through which to heal and express themselves. It also ensures a more successful recovery as many of these alternative treatments focus on healing body and mind, as well give patients the chance to be accountable for their actions and take on real responsibility. All of these benefits give patients the knowledge and skills they will need when re-entering society and dealing with triggers.
The following are some examples of the alternative treatment methods provided by drug and alcohol rehabilitation facilities.
- Art therapy: this type of treatment is usually done in a group setting and requires patients to think outside the box and express their thoughts and emotions by creating art. Studies have shown that this form of therapy can reduce relapse rates and help to manage some mental health disorders. Patients can gain a sense of pride and accomplishment for their work, helping them to build confidence and self-esteem which is so crucial throughout the recovery process. Art therapy can include painting, drawing, music, sculpting, dancing, acting and poetry.
- Equine therapy: Equine Assisted Therapy provides patients healing through emotional and physical connection with horses. Bonding with these sensitive animals helps to build self-esteem, confidence, patience and trust. Taking care of the horses also gives recovering addicts the sense of responsibility and accountability.
- Nutritional therapy: A healthy diet is essential to a successful recovery process. This type of therapy teaches patients how to restore their bodies back to optimum health. By eating the right foods, addicts can repair the chemical imbalances in the body caused by drug addiction. This can also help to curb cravings and combat depression, irritability and mood swings, which all influence substance abuse and help to perpetuate it.
- Yoga and meditation: These exercises help to connect mind, body and spirit through physical poses and breathing techniques. Yoga is said to assist with relapse prevention since it teaches patients about calmness and inner peace. It also helps to relieve stress, depression and anxiety that can fuel drug or alcohol addiction.
- Acupuncture: This technique stimulates pressure points on the body usually through the use of thin needles. This complementary therapy is used to address and correct physical imbalances. Studies have shown that acupuncture stimulates blood flow and the production of hormones in the body. It helps with relaxation and to restore balance to organs like the heart, lungs, liver, kidneys and even the digestive tract.
If you or someone you know is struggling with addiction, and traditional therapy methods have not worked, it is time to seek help from a facility that offers alternative forms of treatment. Call Alternative Treatment Centers Tampa at (813)-262-0168 for more information about treatment and rehab options.